Niroga Institute Board of Directors
Nik Banerjee [Board Chair] is a seasoned financial services executive with over two decades of senior management experience in leading brands such as Bank of America, Charles Schwab, and Wells Fargo. He is currently a Vice President in the Small Business Group at Wells Fargo. A former professor of English, Nik holds a PH.D. in English from the University of Maryland and has attended executive development programs at the University of Virginia and the Stanford Graduate School of Business.
Bidyut Bose [Founder and Executive Director] learned mindfulness from his father and others since he was a child. He also spent many years as a computer scientist and technology executive in Silicon Valley. He is the lead author of a comprehensive Dynamic Mindfulness (DMind) curriculum published by WW Norton, and conducts DMind trainings nationally and internationally. He is a consultant for multiple School Districts and University Colleges of Education, helping nurture the whole child, the whole parent, and the whole educator, transforming learning, lives and communities. He is committed to developing a more mindful generation, and disseminating system architectures for lasting social transformation.
Saundra Davis is the Founder and Executive Director of Sage Financial Solutions, a non-profit that develops comprehensive financial capability programs for low-to-moderate income communities nationally. She has received numerous awards for her commitment to providing the highest standard in comprehensive financial planning and asset building for the working poor. As a financial coach, educator, and consultant, her work continues to shape the financial capability and coaching efforts around the country. Her comprehensive training programs inspire her students to become true experts in the field. She has a B.S. in Management and an M.S. in Financial Planning, and has an abiding interest in money and mindfulness.
Judy Dunlap [Co-founder and Co-Executive Director] has had extensive experience in finance, marketing, and sales, and was Director of Operations of a software company for 10 years, after receiving her MBA from Golden Gate University and undergraduate degree from UC Santa Barbara. She has an abiding interest in Eastern philosophies, and a holistic approach to healthful living. She is a certified Yoga teacher, having directly experienced the integral therapeutic benefits of Yoga first hand.
Hon. Charles Ervin serves as Presiding Judge in the Superior Court of California, Sierra County. He was elected to the bench in 2010 after practicing law for 26 years. He received a bachelor’s degree in Economics from Cornell University and studied law at Syracuse University College of Law; McGeorge School of Law; Lincoln Law School of Sacramento; and City University of Los Angeles. He is the President of the California Association of Youth Courts and serves as Liaison judge from the Collaborative Justice Court Advisory Committee (CJCAC) to the Trial Court Presiding Judges Advisory Committee. Judge Ervin served as a Sergeant in the U.S. Air Force Reserve and as a Major in the U.S. Army Reserve.
Rosalind Lwin [Associate Executive Director] is committed to building community capacity and engagement through Dynamic Mindfulness products and programs that catalyze the strength, resilience, and potential of each individual. She has conducted Dynamic Mindfulness trainings nationally and internationally, in stress resilience and trauma healing for educational institutions, health care providers, government agencies, non-profits and corporations. She has an abiding interest in developing and delivering solutions for social transformation, organizational leadership, social justice and gender equity. She served two years as a Peace Corps volunteer in Kenya, working on small enterprise development and women’s empowerment.
Keley Petersen is President of Willow Grove Advisers, with 23 years of financial services experience. She has an MBA from the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration, and has been involved in asset management nationally and internationally. Keley has an abiding interest in education, and has served on Boards of schools her children went to. She has a personal yoga practice, and recognizes the power and potential for mindful yoga to enhance academic, social and emotional learning.
Fred Schnider is a criminal defense lawyer currently specializing in state and federal appeals. From 1987 to 2004, he was a trial attorney in the Alameda County Public Defender's Office, handling mostly adult and some juvenile felony cases in Oakland. Fred grew up in Washington, D.C. and attended the University of Virginia and Georgetown University Law Center.
Conrad Tiu is an education leader and innovator, and has been serving school communities in diverse educational setting in the Los Angele Unified School District for over 30 years. His administrative contributions supported exiting three schools out of Program Improvement status. He served as the administrator for the LAUSD New Administrators Leadership Program (LANALP) and was a team member of the LAUSD Professional Learning and Leadership Division (PLLD). He received his Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership from Pepperdine University, with an emphasis on social justice and equity in education. He has an abiding interest in trauma-informed mindfulness, and practices and shares Dynamic Mindfulness daily with his students.
Board of Advisors (Partial List)
- Alex Briscoe: Principal, California Children’s Trust; formerly Director, Alameda County Health Care Services Agency
- John Burbank: Founder and Chief Investment Officer of Passport Capital, LLC, a San Francisco based, global hedge fund
- Woody Carter: Former Executive Director, Bay Area Black United Front
- Adele Diamond: Professor of Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience, University of British Columbia
- Delaine Eastin: Former State Superintendent of California Public Instruction
- Gihani Fernando: Consultant; formerly with Bridgespan and then Playworks
- Raj Gandhi: Pediatric surgeon and mindfulness trainer
- Lynette Lee: Retired Professor of Criminal Justice, California State University, Sacramento
- Deb Levine: Consultant; formerly founder and ED of YTH (Youth+Tech+Health)
- Janet Pozmantier: Consultant; formerly Founding Director, Center for School Behavioral Health, Mental Health America of Greater Houston
- Shane Safir: Consultant; formerly with Stuart Foundation
- Curtiss Sarikey: Chief of Staff to Superintendent, Oakland Unified School District
- Dan Siegel: Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, UCLA, and acclaimed author
- Bill Somerville: Founder, Philanthropic Ventures Foundation
- John Spinale: serial entrepreneur and venture capitalist investing in human potential technology
- Lynda Tredway: Senior Associate, Institute for Educational Leadership, Washington, DC
- Carina Wong: Deputy Director and Senior Advisor for Innovation, Gates Foundation