Join Yoga Corps and Teach Yoga in Underserved Communities
Our Yoga Corps program is a staple of our Direct Service work. In order to serve our growing list of partners, we recruit Certified Yoga Teachers to teach the transformative practice of Dynamic Mindfulness.
Dynamic Mindfulness is a practice of Transformative Life Skills that includes mindful action, mindful breathing and mindful centering. It is taught in 15-20 minute sessions in academic classrooms or as full mat-based yoga classes.
Yoga Corps teachers are bringing Dynamic Mindfulness to underserved communities in schools, juvenile halls, hospitals, shelters, and many other sites.
As part of the Yoga Corps, yoga teachers have the opportunity to serve selflessly, deepen their practice, and develop skills for working with diverse communities, while earning a living wage.
- Certified Yoga Instructor
- Experience working with youth and/or vulnerable populations
- Non-studio teaching experience
- Reliable and Punctual: shows up early and leaves time after class to connect with students
- Team player and a willingness to identify and pursue opportunities for program growth and improvement
- Strong communicator: must be responsive by email and phone
- Demonstrate cultural humility and the ability and desire to work in diverse communities
- Background as an educator or mental health professional
- Experience working in schools, detention facilities, or homeless shelters
- Become part of Niroga's established teaching community
- Opportunity to serve and earn a living wage
- Logistic and teaching support from Niroga's senior teachers and Program Managers
- Opportunities for personal and professional development, including access to Niroga's comprehensive Dynamic Mindfulness trainings and curriculum
How it works
Teachers hired as part of Yoga Corps have varying schedules ranging from teaching one to twelve hours per week. There is also opportunity to sub for other Yoga Corps teachers.
Each site has a Program Manager who will work as the liaison between the instructor and the site, as well as provide support to the instructor and assist in subbing requests.
Join Yoga Corps
We don't always have immediate openings, but we are always interested in qualified yoga teachers to be available for the next opportunity.
Current Teaching Opportunities
Please note: We occasionally post opportunities here. If there is not a specific posting we still encourage you to submit your resume and letter of interest.
–Hannah Michahelles, Yoga Corps since 2014, Street Academy, Coliseum Prep, Alameda County Juvenile Justice Center, El Cerrito High
–Tricia Tangeman, Yoga Corps since 2010, Alameda County Juvenile Justice Center, Alta Bates Cancer Center, MPI Recovery Center, school site programs for grade/middle/ and high school students and staff in under served communities, Diabetes Group
–Olivia Barber, Yoga Corps since 2013, Mission High School in SF and Manzanita Middle School in Richmond